Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dragonfly Does Handstand!

Even Yoga Teachers Are Still Learning...
She’s got no hands but she does a great handstand!  I wish I could feel so steady in this tricky posture (otherwise known as Adho Mukha Vrksasana—hard to say and hard to do). 
Sometimes people might think that just because I teach yoga I must find all yoga postures easy.  But handstand is one of those postures that I have actually been working on for a good two years now!  I guess you could say I am a bit of a slow learner. 
But that’s the thing about yoga, we are all constantly learning.  And that’s part of what makes it so fascinating.   The more you practice yoga the deeper you penetrate the layers of mind and body.   Every time I step onto my mat I learn something new.  This is even if I am doing the same old postures I have been doing for more than ten years.  What it means my practice is never the same.  It means each posture is never the same. 
In my classes I hope that I can encourage you to take an inquisitive approach to your yoga practice and come onto the mat with the attitude of an explorer; that way your practice will never become dull or stale. 
Thanks to one of the truly great explorers, Karen Conniff, for sending me this photo.   Karen was the first person to ever give me some handstand secrets so it is very fitting that she sent it to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment